At What Age Should I Start Using Anti-Aging Products?
Over the years, we’ve noticed customers start asking us about anti-aging products when they hit their mid-30’s. It is right around that time, they start to notice crows feet forming around their eyes after years laughing and squinting (wear your big sunglasses!)
Then, when clients hit their 40’s and 50’s, the requests become more urgent. “HOW do I get rid of these wrinkles?!”
A little background about skin and aging
When we are born, our skin and bodies are full of the wonderful elements that are associated with youth – collagen, hyaluronic acid and elastin. The collagen gives the skin the plumpness of youth, the hyaluronic acid gives it the ability to retain moisture and the elastin makes the skin not sag and appear wrinkly. As we age, those proteins naturally decrease within our bodies, making it necessary to replace them if one wants to try to appear youthful.
But at what point is it a good idea to start investing in our quest to find the fountain of youth? After all, skincare can get pricey and no one wants to be throwing away money.
The sad news for us (slightly!) older folks is that once wrinkles have formed, there is little you can do to reverse them aside from medical interventions (think Botox, injectable dermal fillers or, eek, face lifts).
What that means for our younger clients is START EARLY! The earlier the better. I, for one, already have my 13 year old using Vitamin C gel on a daily basis. The key is to start when anti-aging products are the most effective – the preventative years. If you start using anti-aging products prior to having wrinkles, you are proactively preventing them from forming. In addition to this, once you reach the years where you cannot stave off wrinkles any longer, your skin will be essentially trained on how to react when you apply these anti-aging products. By consistent use of products like topical Vitamin C and Age Defying Rejuvenating Trio, you are conditioning your skin to retain moisture while absorbing their anti-inflammatory qualities.
Easy Preventative Measures You Can Start Now
If you have been around Ninja for a while, I am sure you will not be surprised by the first one:
- Use SPF on a daily basis! By applying and re-applying SPF daily (even on the cloudy days!), you are preventing UV damage which can, and will, cause fine lines and wrinkles in your future. Throw in a wide-brimmed hat and long-sleeves and you are easily adding years of youthful visage to your future!
- Use Salicylic Acid daily – it is a great gentle exfoliant that has the added benefit of preventing the formation of mild acne breakouts! It also has been shown to increase collagen levels in the skin.
- Moisturize daily. Our Multi-Plexion Moisturizer is lightweight and perfect for all skin types – adding moisture to the skin without causing breakouts!
- HYDRATE! Drink your 8+ glasses of water a day to give your skin the added boost of moisture that it might be losing as you age.
- If your budget can afford it, we recommend using Vitamin C daily – after you apply Salicylic and before you add the SPF or moisturizer. If you are looking for a more budget-friendly anti-aging product, we urge you to consider the Trio, which has hyaluronic acid and betaglucan, which reduces inflamation.
If you are fighting existing wrinkles and have any questions about medical interventions, please reach out to us. We, of course, have opinions about each option and can hopefully, help steer you in the right direction for you.